Summer Student Assistant 2019
The Summer Student Assistant helps St. George’s United Church live out its mission by supporting the ministry and community work of the staff and volunteers of the church, with a focus on children, youth and the wider community. This position is available thanks to a Canada Summer Jobs grant.
Closing Date: 3:30pm June 1st, 2018 Wage: $13.85 per hour
Interested applicants must submit their resume and cover letters addressed to the Rev. Ingrid Brown to firstname.lastname@example.org or drop off at the Office at St. George’s United Church, 506 6th Street, Courtenay, BC V9N 1M5.
We thank and acknowledge all applicants however will contact only those selected for an interview.
Candidates for employment must be between the ages of 15 and 30 years of age, a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or otherwise eligible for work in Canada. Priority students (Underrepresented groups including First Nations, disabled, immigrant, refugee and members of visible minorities) are encouraged to apply.
HOURS AND CONDITIONS:
Full Time Staff position for 30 hours per week. Hours will vary and will include weekdays, Sunday morning and some evenings; flexibility is essential. Work will commence July 2 and be completed August 31, with one week of unpaid holidays to be coordinated with St. George’s staff.
QUALIFICATIONS AND SKILLS:
· Experience and ability to work with children is essential
· Babysitting course and/or First Aid required
· Arts and Crafts skills/experience
· Some Biblical knowledge is an asset
· Ability to work well in both independent and team environments
· A proven ability to learn quickly, to take instruction from a leader and apply it to assigned tasks
· Sociable, easily connects with others
· Comfort with the theology and ethos of the United Church of Canada as expressed by St. George’s United Church
KEY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Duties include/but not limited to:
· Children’s Church preparation and implementation, children’s Summer Day Camp preparation and implementation,
additional assistance with Sunday church services as needed.
· Other duties may include:
· Administrative tasks, basic property maintenance, drop in outreach and other program assistance as needed.
The Summer Student Assistant is accountable to the governing body of the congregation. They will report to and be under the day-to-day supervision of the Ministry Staff.
NOTE: Will be required to have vulnerable sector criminal record check